Castlegar and Nelson
Thursday, August 30, 2012 to Monday, September 03, 2012
Kootenay Pride is celebrating its 16th year with the theme “diversity builds community.” It’s a jam-packed weekend starting on Thursday, Aug. 30 and ending on Labour Day, Monday, Sept. 3. Everyone is invited to celebrate the local LGBT community.
- Thu. Aug. 30 Castlegar Gay Pride at the Element at 9 p.m.
- Fri. Aug. 31 Live reading of the play “8” at the Capitol Theatre at 8 p.m., a play about California’s proposition 8 concerning same-sex marriage
- Sat. Sept. 1 Book discussion group at the Express at 554 Ward St at 11 a.m., followed by the Word Jam Music Slam at 1 p.m., an open mic event hosted by Meg Stewart
- Sat. Sept. 1 Concert benefitting the Nelson & District Women’s Centre at 8 p.m. at Spiritbar featuring Tret Fure and Kate Reid. Then stay at SpiritBar for Viva La Diva at 11 p.m., with drag events from far and wide “Bigger and more dragulous than ever before”
- Sun. Sept. 2 Meet at Central School in Nelson at 2 p.m. to march in the Pride Parade, the most visual and festive parade in Nelson. Or if you want to watch the parade, be on Baker Street by 3 p.m. Then, by 4 p.m., the parade moves to the rally at Cottonwood Falls Park with live music and entertainers, DJs and food vendors
- Sun. Sept. 2 Kootenay Pride’s Funk’n’ Disco Dance Party at 8 p.m. at the Nelson & District Rod & Gun Club
- Mon. Sept. 3 Mimosa Brunch at the Library at the Hume Hotel at 11 a.m.
Plus, all weekend long, check out the PRIDE Window Display Contest at shops on Baker Street and around Nelson. For more information, check out the Kootenay Pride Facebook group.